Who needs KFC? Who needs Country Fried Chicken? When you’re in a hurry, this is an easy go-to recipe that will satisfy your fried chicken cravings just like that.
Sometimes you just want some fried chicken but you want it now, so who can be bothered getting some low carb breading crumbs ready, dunking the chicken pieces in beaten egg and the crumbs and then finally getting to cook them? Not me!
I love fried chicken and this week the supermarket had chicken drumstick on special so I thought…Yaasssss. I got me a big fat tray of chicken drumsticks and I didn’t look back.
Lucky ole me, I work from home, so I was able to cook up these lovely legs as just a ¼ serving (two drumsticks) with no fuss and bother, but I thought I would show you what I also do for the household, which is a full batch of 8 chicken drumsticks (two per serving). Any extras make for a super easy lunch with salad the next day.
I must admit that these chicken drumsticks are so moist and tender with a satisfyingly crunchy skin and although I love to dip them in a mixture of buffalo wing sauce and mayonnaise, they are also quite delicious just on their own, especially when they first come out of the air fryer or oven.
You can’t get much simpler than this recipe for chicken drumsticks. I mean, while the chicken is cooking, you can easily knock up a simple salad, so that means the whole family can be sitting down to eat within 25 mins. And if you read my little list of tips, there are some suggestions for you to change up the recipe a little and feel like you are having an almost completely different meal each time.
Let me know if you give this a go, and especially if you try out some different flavour combinations. I would love to see what you come up with.
And don’t tell KFC that I gave you this recipe because I don’t really want an angry Colonel hunting me down due to a decrease in their sales, hehehe.
8 Chicken Drumsticks
3tsp Garlic Powder
1-2tsp Himalayan Pink Salt
1-2tsp Ground Black Pepper
60ml Buffalo Wing Sauce – to serve
4Tb Mayonnaise – to serve
- Place the chicken drumsticks, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a plastic container or a large Ziplock plastic bag, seal shut, and shake or massage until the chicken drumsticks are coated in the seasonings.
- Preheat the air fryer to 200ºC/390ºF for 3 minutes.
- Place the chicken drumsticks into the preheated air fryer basket. If your air fryer is small and you cannot fit them all in, cook them in batches doing four first and keeping them warm in the oven while you cook the other four. Air fry for 15 minutes then flip the drumsticks over and air fry for another 5 minutes.
Alternatively, you can cook the chicken drumsticks in a conventional oven by placing them in a 200ºC/400ºF preheated oven on top of a wire rack resting in a baking tray. Bake for 30-40 minutes until the drumsticks are cooked through and juices run clear, not pink.
If using meat thermometer, 75ºC/165ºF is generally considered a safe internal temperature for eating when the thermometer gets inserted into the chicken to the bone,
- Once the chicken is cooked you can either drizzle the buffalo wing sauce and mayonnaise over the drumsticks or you can serve the sauce and mayonnaise on the side as dipping sauces. Throw together a lovely fresh salad and you have a perfectly healthy low carb keto meal.
- Change up the seasonings and try some paprika, cumin, turmeric, curry powder, chilli flakes, onion powder or even oregano powder. With all the different flavour combinations you can put together, chicken drumsticks never need be boring ever again.
- Try out different dipping sauces such as aioli, sugar free BBQ sauce and blue cheese sauce.
- Don’t be tempted to overcook your chicken drumsticks, especially if you are saving some for your next day lunch as you don’t want them to be dry and crusty.
- If your air fryer is small, try standing the drumstick up with their tails to the centre like tepee tent to fit more in.
- Serve with more mayonnaise or sour cream if you want t increase the fat content.
Nutritional Information (per serve)